Thursday, July 26, 2007

Book review: "A is for Alibi"

Sue Grafton introduced us to P.I. Kinsey Millhone in "A is for Alibi" in 1982.
Although she is one of the writers Stephen King says he reads, I did not find her until 2007. (One of those projecting down through the years things King talks about in "On Writing" no doubt.)
Would I read the whole series? Probably not. Did I like the first one? Yes -- with reservations.
The last third of the book kept me up longer than I intended. I had to find out not only who did it but would they get away and what price would Kinsey pay for exposing the murderer?
The story progresses very nicely. But it does go on a bit. It may be a guy thing, but I'm really not into all the description of everything. I don't need to know what every bit of clothing looks like nor do I need to know whether Millhone turned right or left to find someone's office.
Would I recommend the book?
Well, sure.
Any writer who is up to "T is for ..." in a series has something going for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment: