Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Lucky days?

Do we have lucky days?
If I believed in luck I would think so.
Take today for instance. I was home from work so Linda asked me to renew our license plates at the license branch.
She has done so in past years and too often it cost her a lunch hour as she waited in line for her turn.
So, I was glad to go today.
No line! I walked to the counter and before I could say anything, the lady invited me to come to her station to complete my business.
That has never happened to me before.
We had big lines when we lived in Elkhart, in Shelbyville, in Crawfordsville as well as Brazil.
When the lady completed my business and handed me a receipt, I told her, "I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket. This must be my lucky day!"
"If you win, let me know," she said with a laugh.
And I did win! I rode my scooter straight to the gas station and turned in some lottery tickets from past drawings.
I won $3!
The man behind the counter asked if I wanted cash and I told him, "No way! Let it ride!"
After all, today is my lucky day.
Actually, I don't believe in luck. I believe we are blessed and we are tried. Sometimes you never know how to interpret events.
After losing my job in 2007, struggling to obtain SEC and insurance licenses and not being able to make that financial advisory business go, I was hired by a newspaper. I returned to my previous profession in journalism.
Then we went though Linda's several cancer surgeries in 2008.
Last week she had another lumpectomy. But this was the first that was negative.
So, Linda's health is improving. I have a job I love. I belong to a church I love. I love my family.
But if you were to ask me which events were blessings and which were trials, I would have to say I'm really not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment: